He breeding stock should be selected when they reach 4 to 5 months old. The breeder should be chosen from the biggest litter. In males, it is extremely essential to see the existence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down in the body cavity at 12 weeks of age.
- Extensive type of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding soon after weaning. Does are so mated once every 2.5 months. This is the best suited for tropical countries like India.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 weeks of age.
Weaning is at 4 months of age. Mating is done immediately after kindling.
Always females should be placed to the pencil of male to prevent fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest portion of the day like early morning or late evening. After successful mating the male usually generates a typical cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the breeding the male one should be removed from the cage. The male shouldn’t be greater than 3 to 4 times in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times in a day. Both the sexes should reach 70 percent of their adult body weight.
The breeding season is almost throughout year.
Signals of heat in females
- Restlessness, Rubbing the chin on the sides of the cage.
- Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
- In heat, the female bunny accepts man, otherwise it rejects.
- In heat, the female assumes a typical pose called”lordosis” where the spine is arched downward and hind quarter is increased.
- The female one in di-estrous phage crouch in the corner of the cage.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding happens after one week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is revealed just one week before weaning.
- When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility occurs.